Total Pageviews

Friday, June 11, 2010

Of Two Worlds



A few minutes when the rains and sun graced the same place
When unanswered questions and naked truth came face to face
The eyes do the talking and ask the mouth to stay mum
But instead, to camouflage the truth, the mouth chooses to hum
The order of the conversation is almost always the same
Contact, awe, longing, questions, anger, complacence and no one to blame


Poised two feet above the ground, with a tinted window wall that lowers only for exchange
To ensure the coolness of her temporary abode remains intact, doesn’t change
She wears sunglasses, a crisp white dress and she’s so pretty and so fair
Just like the poem I had learnt before leaving school for selling tea here
And then appears a creamy hand with a ruby ring and an empty glass that once had tea
The younger ones rush to service but I stay put coz a sense of shame engulfs me


What would she think of my soiled clothes, my dark skin, and my mangled hair
What if she shuns me coz I’m spoiling her breathing air
She then removes her shades and surprisingly looks at me for a second and then more
No blinking is the name of the game and she can see the questions soar
I search deeper but her eyes are starkly speechless
On the extent of nakedness behind every beautiful dress


Exchange done, the window rolls up and the car speeds away leaving a storm of dust
That soils my clothes, my little world in which I shall live, die and meanwhile rust
Why I was born in the black and white world where the darkness seldom fades
And there are those who know red from yellow, the bright world where people wear shades
Though I’m not convinced, ma says –It’s God’s plan and to his tune, we’re all dancers
And here comes another big car at our highway tea shop and begins yet another futile search for my answers.


Suchita ....the one inside the car..on behalf of the one who wasn't...

No comments: